Question:
What's the best Fish and chip shop in London?
Mecca Ibrahim
2006-03-09 09:20:30 UTC
What's the best Fish and chip shop in London?
Five answers:
londonmark
2006-03-09 09:32:39 UTC
Harry Ramsdens are to Fish n Chips what McDonalds are to burgers!

There are plenty of REAL fish n chip shops in London to choose from.

Here is a list of some of the best - http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/features/print/28.html

Personally, I`d choose this one:

Masters Super Fish

Another cabbie favourite, serving high-quality battered fare as well as Cromer crab, grilled sardines and such. Chips are piled high and all meals come with french bread, pickled onions (made on site) and gherkins. The fresh prawns you’re given to nibble on while you are waiting for your order are a nice touch.

Masters Super Fish, 191 Waterloo Rd, SE1 8UX (020 7928 6924) Waterloo tube/rail. Open Mon 5.30-10.30pm; Tue-Thur 4.30-10.30pm; Fri 4.30-11pm; Sat 4.30-10.30pm.
hongkongphooey
2006-03-09 09:31:30 UTC
My personal favourite aside from the one right near my house is over on Endell Street, just to the north of Covent Garden.

From TimeOut:

"Rock & Sole Plaice

London’s oldest surviving fish and chip shop was established in 1871 and is still bustling (though admittedly under different ownership). Tourists, luvvies, suits and trendies – no one cares when they’ve got chunky chips and crisply battered fish in front of them. Outdoor tables, strung around with coloured lights, come into their own on a balmy summer’s evening.

Rock & Sole Plaice, 47 Endell St, WC2H 9AJ (020 7836 3785) Covent Garden tube. Open Mon-Sat 11.30am-11pm; Sun 12noon-10pm. "

Check out this listing from Time Out:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/features/28.html
Dorothy
2016-05-20 13:59:48 UTC
In Central London I usually go to the Rock and Sole Plaice in Endell Street near Covent Garden.
Screwed up
2006-03-15 08:43:27 UTC
Personal favourite is on Tottenham Street, off Tottenham Court Road (Goodge Street tube station). I can never remember what it's called, but it serves excellent fish, chips, kebabs etc. at very reasonable prices.

Whatever you do, stay away from the one opposite the British Museum (Great Russell Street)! It's twice the price and, frankly, disgusting!
dumplingmuffin
2006-03-09 09:30:10 UTC
Harry Ramsdens are meant to be good but we are known overhere for our fish and chips so if you see a que you know its a good shop.